Tolkien and Hobbits

Over on Instagram, or, more appropriately named, bookstagram, I did a photo challenge. It was #middleearthmarch. Boy did I unleash a dragon. I never realized how much I loved Tolkien's work and on how many different levels it touches me. I really enjoyed the challenge of taking beautiful photos, finding quotes, reading through the books and discussing them with others.

I won't tell you everything I posted and discussed or put up all the pictures. Let me just share with you my favorite things and post my favorite pictures. But first, I have to tell you how I learned about hobbits.

There and Back Again...
Growing up my parents had several dozen kid movies recorded on VHS for me to watch. We didn't go out and buy every movie that was released so I ended up watching these movies on an endless loop. My favorites were Rainbow Brite, The Care Bears movie 2, The Land Before Time and the hobbit movies: The Hobbit and The Return of the King. The hobbit movies were cute lil cartoons made by Rankin/Bass Productions (geniuses! Go watch all their Christmas specials!!!). I loved these movies and I didn't ask questions.

In middle school kids started talking about the release of the Fellowship of the Ring movie with Elijah Wood playing Frodo. I thought, "Frodo?! Like from the Return of the King cartoon?!" At this point a very kind friend explained that Frodo's story began long before the events of the Return of the King and that they were based off pretty famous books. WHAT?!??!?! You mean there are BOOKS of my favorite cartoon?!?! World changed. Super fan created.

Instagram Posts
So, now you know how my  obsession began. So here are my favorite discussions and my answers. Tell me what your choices are in the comments! I'd love to know!

Frodo or Bilbo: In the movies: Bilbo. In the books: Frodo. Martin Freeman created a whole new breed of Bilbo that was incredible. His facial expressions, his passion, his dedication to the role (I may or may not have watched all the special features). He made Bilbo a real person....erm....Hobbit...and I loved him so much. But book Bilbo is very different. He is still a wonderfully sculpted character, but in the books I find myself more in love with Frodo Baggins: the scared, brave, curious, tormented, determined little hobbit that does the impossible. He's funny, he's smart and his journey is one I'll never forget.

Fave characters: #1: Smaug. I love this dragon like Hobbits love home. Like Gandalf loves his pipe. Like Gollum loves his precious. Every line out of his fire-stained lips is sassy and clever and gives me chills. In book AND movie. #2: Legolas. Does this need explanation? I should mention that I'm mostly in love with movie Legolas. I know many people disagree but I LOVE Orlando Bloom's performance. Keep in mind that I had (100% literal truth) 50+ pictures of Orlando Bloom on my neon green walls as a teenager so...it's an unhealthy obsession (Don't worry. I grew up. Now my walls are white and plastered with Harry Potter and Star Wars posters).

Fave place: The Halls of Moria haunt you. The cozy hobbit holes greet you. But the place in Middle Earth that puts stars in my eyes and warmth in my heart is Gondor. I love the majestic statues of the Argonath. I love the giant, graceful Minas Tirith. I love the mysterious and beautiful Window to the Sunset. Gondor would be my home. Aragorn would be my King. FOR NARNIA!!!!!!!! Wait...

There ya go. And before I display the pictures let me leave you with one of my favorite quotes. This quote is good to remember whenever the road gets rough and you feel overburdened.

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Starfish out. Peace.

Pictures










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Met My Mother

Termites and Midnights and Night Lights

You're worth it