Jesus, my Friend


This quote is so sage and deep yet so simply clear. It's easy to think that Jesus is the center of our lives when we look at our religious practices; church on Sunday, prayer daily, scripture study, service. We can DO all the right things and be emulating the life of Christ, but there is more to the invitation that is given by Jesus as He accepts the role of our Savior. I think an often forgotten role (at least by me): FRIEND.

I know that Jesus is my friend. After all, he did for me what no one else would or could. He suffered for me, He died for me, His whole earthly existence was to secure my salvation. But do I really understand that He is my friend?

I always picture Jesus at the Great and Powerful, the Almighty, the Lord of all the Earth. I always see him as the Sun: great and wonderful, giving me light, but out of my reach. Jesus is always in our reach. He can be our personal friend. We don't need to be intimidated by Him or think He doesn't understand or care about our little muggle problems. He can be our best friend. You can tell him about your day at school and He'll listen. You can cry and go on about your latest heartbreak and He won't roll his eyes. He cares. He's as casual and normal as your best friend. He'll laugh with you at all those cheesy laffy taffy jokes you love. He'll sit with you on the porch for an hour watching a bluebird just because.

This may not be making sense to anyone. But this was a huge realization to me this past week. Jesus is a friend just like any friend. You can have a personal and unique relationship with Him.
So my goal is to get to know Jesus on a more personal level. To share everything with Him and really get to know Him. God and Christ aren't like the Royal Family: there for your protection and direction but you don't KNOW know them. They are like your family; aware of all your wacky quirks and in love with you none the less.

-John 15:9-14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Met My Mother

Termites and Midnights and Night Lights

You're worth it